Our Identity, Mission, and Vision
Identity and Mission
We are a community of relational and systems-oriented professionals, devoted to supporting the expertise and interests of marriage and family therapists in the state of Georgia.
We achieve this by:
- advancing a clinical community for members to interact and form networks of support.
- establishing and maintaining professional standards in marriage and family therapy.
- hosting educational opportunities throughout the state, that provide access to research in the field, explore innovations in clinical practice, and nurture professional growth.
- connecting and supporting pre-licensed professionals, seasoned therapists, and clinicians relocating to the state, with information and resources needed for successful career development.
- representing marriage and family therapy as a core mental health profession to the public and before government bodies in Georgia.
From the individual to the larger system, GAMFT envisions a world where the promotion of health, progress, and well-being is sustained by relationships that make a difference.
- Raising awareness when systemic changes impact family sustainability.
- Infusing diversity and inclusion into all aspects of GAMFT and the profession.
- Advocating for family health in our local communities.
- Fostering relational practices among families, communities, and other professionals that highlight interconnectedness.
- Cooperating with local representatives and organizations for the furtherance of marriage and family therapy as a mental health profession.
Diversity & Inclusion Statement
We at the Georgia Association for Marriage and Family Therapy recognize and acknowledge the impact that systems of power and privilege have on family health, individual healing, and relational wellbeing, especially the detrimental effects of oppression. We believe that inclusive practices that embrace diversity of identity and ideas greatly contribute to dismantling systems of injustice and enhance our personal and professional perspectives. Therefore, we strive to always value the multitude of voices in our organizational action and to fulfill our duty to advocate for the populations we serve. We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion in all aspects of the organization, as well as the profession of marriage and family therapy in Georgia.