Recent Legislative Updates
A Successful Close to the 2022 Legislative Session
The 2022 legislative session has finally come to an end, and the GAMFT Legislative Committee is proud to announce that much was accomplished! A few major accomplishments are as follows:
- Tracked, supported, and continued active collaboration with other mental health agencies to advocate for the successful passage of HB 1013. This bill includes service cancellable educational loans for LMFT Georgia residents enrolled in educational programs, training programs, or courses of study working in a geographically underserved area.
- Successfully protected MFT licensure and advocated for key improvements to HB 972, a bill introduced by the LPCA to rewrite state code negatively affecting MFTs.
- Drafted and introduced HB 1599, updating MFT licensure, education, and training requirements, bringing them into alignment with COAMFTE standards. These changes will be introduced during the 2023 legislative session.
- Successfully advocated for the inclusion of MFTs to HB 752 Psychiatric Advance Directive.
- Advocated to ensure that LMFTs are included as a provider in the “Psychology and Therapy Services” policy manual, previously open only to licensed psychologists.
- Engaged meaningful input from key LMFT stakeholders through the GAMFT legislative committee’s support of active committees that included the Legislative and Policy Advisory Committee and the Licensure Provision Improvement Workgroup.
- Advocated to key legislators and the Department of Community Health for expanded MH services with the addition of Medicaid reimbursement for LMFTs.
- Hosted two Townhalls to education GAMFT membership on legislative priorities.
- Engaged key legislative members of the new bipartisan Mental Health Caucus.
GAMFT Legislative Committee is Seeking New Members!
And there’s more to come! The GAMFT Legislative Committee continues their efforts year-round in preparation for the next legislative session. We invite you to click here to learn more about joining the committee, or join us for an upcoming online meeting as a way to learn more!
If you are interested in receiving the log in information and finding out how you can help with GAMFT’s advocacy efforts, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.